Thursday, February 15, 2018

Wave and Bohr Applications

January 11, 2018

Welcome back to the Nerdy Teacher's Corner lil' scientists!

Today we start our day with applications of what we learned so far. 
My students have received the Wave Calculation Problems that can be found on my resource page.
While my students have only seen their example problems, the Wave Calculation Problems will have similar problems to what they have already seen. To get their brains started, I have handed out a whiteboard to each table. 
On the Promethean, I have put a problem up for them to work out. Using their notebook where the examples problems are, they must work together to solve the problem on their whiteboards. During this time, I walked around the classroom to see what students are thinking and doing. I, personally like to do this because I can catch common misconceptions. Then I can reteach students in anything they are struggling in. Once they have completed the problem, we will go over it together on the Promethean and see what the correct answer is. When I demonstrate on the Promethean, I project how I plug in the numbers into the calculator as well. This will address a problem students encounter when getting into their answers. Once we have worked through this problem, I let the students work on the worksheet for roughly 30-45 minutes. I walk around the classroom and help them as they need. 
I do want to address some of the common issues students find when working out these problems. A lot of times my kids are sitting there like....
They just don't like math. They tend to freak out when they see large numbers. As I mentioned in my previous post, I do try to emphasize that all numbers need to be in parentheses. Check out the image below to see what I mean by parentheses. About 85% of the time, students will get the incorrect answer simply because they did not put those numbers in parentheses. 

About 5% of the time, they will accidentally multiply instead of divide. Another 5% of the time, they will forget to convert nanometer to meters. The final 5% of the time, they will simply forget units and add whatever unit they can remember without thinking about it. 
So, the four square we use helps a little bit with it. Now, there are students who do not need the four square. They are meticulous in their work and do not have the problems. And that's okay. For some students, the four square avoids the issues with getting the unit wrong. They just copy it over from the first square. It also helps with the nanometer to meter issue. If you are not sure what I'm talking about, refer back to my Light and Matter pt. 2 blog! Here's the link!
Light and Matter 2

Now, we continue to do some applications on the rest of the subjects we've covered. I have handed out today a worksheet for my students to do. This worksheet is made up of a back and front side and will be glued to their interactive notebook on page 62. The front is the area where students will draw the Bohr diagrams for elements 1-18. That's Hydrogen to Argon. Again, here is the link.
Resources
In their Nearpod lesson, students have gotten instructions to write on page 59 the steps on how to draw the Bohr diagram for any element. They will use this as a reference. The back page has some information relating to valence electrons, trends for different groups focused specifically on how to find the valence electrons using both the Bohr diagram and their periodic table, and patterns to look out for as they go down a group. My students are given the rest of the time to work on these Bohr diagrams. Here's what it looks like:

This is the only time they will have to work on this, so they must use their time wisely. In some cases, I tell students that I will collect the work at the end of the period depending on how hard they are working. Or, I will leave out that it will be part of their notebook grade. This has helped me numerous times in ensuring that students get their work done. When doing this, I always make it a point to make sure I walk around and help students. In some cases, I have to redirect other student's attention back to their work. However, walking around helps avoid distracted students for the majority of the time. :)

Well, that's all I have for you today!
Join me next time at the Nerdy Teacher's Corner!
We will start practical applications of this material!




No comments:

Post a Comment