Wednesday, March 14, 2018

An easy Monday

January 22, 2018

Welcome back to the Nerdy Teacher's Corner!

Mondays are usually a short day. We only meet with our class for roughly 30-40 minutes depending on whether we have advisory or not. This particular Monday we did. For today's blog, I'd like to talk a little bit about what Advisory is (because it was new to me) and what we covered in class today. 
First things first, I showed my kids grades. I like to keep them updated on grades so that they can continue to push forward.

 
 
Our school uses Synergy. I, personally, like Synergy. There is a Teacher Vue, Student Vue, and Teacher Vue. Teacher Vue is where you as a teacher plug in grades, add assignments, take attendance, see student IEP's, 504 Plans, allergies, contact information, and more! I really like having access to that information because it allows me to stay knowledgeable on my student's needs and I can contact parents if needed. Also, it is an active gradebook. Once you post grades, they go live for the students to see. Student Vue is what the students see. I'm not 100% sure what else they can see besides their grades. I will update as soon as I talk to my students. Parent Vue is useful for parents too! They can see what assignments their children are missing. It keeps them involved in what is going on in class. However, I'm hoping this blog will help parents with more details. Again, with Parent Vue, I'm not 100% how much they get to see besides grades. 

When I showed students their grades, I talked about how they did on their Wave worksheet. I graded them over the weekend and noticed there were excellent grades across the board. I praised them for how they did, but also expressed a concern. Now, some students will just copy work to get the grade. I get that. My concern is that if students do this, eventually it's going to catch up to them when it comes to test time. If they copied, they may not know how to do the work. I expressed that concern with them, but praised the great grades if that was not the case. 

For the rest of the time in class, I had my students glue two sheets to their interactive notebooks. These would go to pg. 63 and 64. We will be beginning the Quantum Mechanical Model (also known as the Electron Cloud Model) tomorrow and gluing these sheets in will save some time on covering material. If you need these worksheets, you can find them in my Resources page. They are titled Electrons in Orbitals and Electron Configuration Help Sheet. These will be used in place of Cornell Notes.
Finally, in this blog, I want to discuss a little bit of what Advisory is. Advisory is usually added on Mondays and it shortens the usually 45 minute classes to 30 minutes. Advisory is added on as a class for students (Period 10). Sometimes they will be students you have in your classes, but this isn't always the case. This is one of the downfalls because during this class students schedule student led conferences. Now, if the Advisory teacher doesn't know all their students, it's hard to have a conference with parents on what students need. Advisory isn't offered very much so there isn't enough time to really get to know those students you don't normally have in your classes. One of the things that was great about this Advisory is that students had the chance to look at their transcripts and figure out what classes they needed for next semester. They were able to see how many credits they had (electives, language arts, language, science, math, etc.) and had an idea on what specific classes they would be taking for next year. 

That's all I have for you today lil scientists! 
         Join me next time at the Nerdy Teacher's Corner!



No comments:

Post a Comment