Monday, March 5, 2018

More light and Bohr Applications

January 18, 2018

Welcome back to the Nerdy Teacher's Corner!

I'm just going to jump right into the day. 
We started today's class with a quiz on Light and Bohr to see what students have been understanding thus far. This is one of the areas I would like to work on much more. How do we measure understanding for students in a way that isn't constantly a quiz or a test?
If you have any suggestions, please drop me a line below!
On average, my classes received a score of 58-60% on this quiz. It was obvious to me that my students needed more help on this topic. My Light and Bohr quiz included questions that related back to the electromagnetic spectrum. For example, I would put an image like this one below.
 
Then, I would ask questions like, which colored wave has the highest energy? Or, which has the lowest frequency? Things like that. I was very specific in the color I put on waves. I want students to understand that red waves have low energy, low frequency, and long wavelengths. If you look at a blue wave, it should have higher frequency, high energy, and short wavelengths. The colors we see are related to energy, frequency, and wavelength. Once we discussed the responses together, students understood where they made mistakes. 
Upon completing the review of the quiz, we moved on to working on the wave calculation worksheet. Again, you can find this on my resources page. I have attached the link here:
My students were give 30 minutes to finish working on this packet. They would be turning it in today. I walked around and helped them as necessary. I did make a note to the students that it was in their best interest to work through as much as possible. I gave them credit for completing the first 3 boxes in each problem. If they were able to complete that, they would receive a D (It is a passing grade). However, in order to get the A or the B, they had to finish the 4th box. A lot of students tend to struggle with the math in this unit. I didn't want to punish them for struggling to do the math and I feel this was pretty fair. 
Once we completed that, we talked about what notebooks should look like at this point. I use this as an opportunity to ensure all students know what their notebook should look like and so we are all on the same page. Below shows what each page should have. 

pg.51 - Unit 4 The Atom assignment sheet                     pg.56- Blank
pg. 52- Light and Matter Notes pt. 1                              pg. 57- Example Problems (2)
pg. 53- Wave and Electromagnetic Spectrum                  pg. 58- Light and Matter Notes pt. 2
pg. 54- Example problem                                               pg. 59- Bohr Diagram Nearpod
pg. 55- Wave worksheet                                                pg. 60- Bohr Model Notes Nearpod
                                                                                    pg. 61- Vocabulary Frayer Model
Now, of course my students are asking, "Miss! We haven't done the vocabulary." They are correct. That is the next thing we are working on for the last 30 minutes of class. Students will be using the Frayer Model to do their vocabulary. For this vocabulary lesson, students will be using the following words: Frequency, Wavelength, Photon, Bohr Model, and Orbit. 
These words can be found on their assignment sheet. 
 
 In this image, you can see exactly what students will be doing. In the first box, students will write a definition for the word. This definition must be something the student understands. I warned my students with using Google. Unless they can specifically define each word in their Google definition demonstrating understanding, then they cannot use the definition. 
For example, the definition from Google for Orbit is as follows: An orbit is the curved path of a celestial object or spacecraft around a star, planet, or moon, especially a periodic elliptical revolution. Now, while this definition is correct for orbit, it is not correct for the orbit we are specifically talking about. We have not covered anything with stars, planets, or moons. In this case, we are referring to orbits in the Bohr Model. You can see how Google will fail students in some cases. 
As a final note, students cannot just write a random thing under non-examples. It must be related to Chemistry and particular to the work we are currently covering. 
For this assignment, I have specified to students that this will be the only time they will have to work on this material so they must use their time wisely. Of course, some students may continue to work on the wave calculations to turn that in. That is perfectly fine. Those students will end up having to do the vocabulary for homework. That is what I mean for them to use their time wisely. They do have choices to complete certain work. However, what is not finished will become homework they are responsible for. 

That's all I have for you today! Join me next time at the Nerdy Teacher's Corner!




No comments:

Post a Comment